KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
92128996

I am wanting to legally change my name (I have always gone

Customer Question

I am wanting to legally change my name (I have always gone by my middle name, as my mother and I have the same name and this causes confusion). I am a student going to school out-of-state. Is there any way that I can get an attorney to represent me in the state that I am a permanent resident in for a legal name change, or do I have to go myself?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 8 months ago.

In Texas in order to legally change your name to your middle name as your first name you need to ask the court for a name change.

First you have to contact your local police department or sheriff's department and arrange to have your fingerprints taken on an approved DPS or FBI fingerprint card. After that you complete the name change petitioner, make two copies of the Petition, Order, and fingerprint card, and file the documents in the county courthouse with the clerk of the court. Have the Clerk return a stamped copy of the Texas Name Change Petition to you and you should keep the original for the hearing. In about si weeks you will get a court date and the judge will issue and order of name change which you can bring to the DMV and social security and school.

It was a pleasure assisting you today, and I would appreciate if you would rate my service, so I will receive credit and payment for my work. After you rate the question you can ask follow up questions, and you will not be charged any additional money for the follow-up questions.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 8 months ago.

if you have any other questions just ask.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 8 months ago.

if you have any follow up questions, please just ask.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 8 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 8 months ago.