How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAttorney Your Own Question
FamilyAttorney, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1422
Experience:  Owner, attorney in private practice, appellate attorney, GAL & former trial lawyer, licensed for 37 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAttorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need help filling out" REQUEST FOR PRODUCTION OF

Customer Question

I need help filling out " REQUEST FOR PRODUCTION OF DOCUMENTS " for my divorce case. My soon to be ex wife had served me with the divorce papers & request for production of documents, now I'd like to request the documents from her as soon as possible. Also, I am looking for anattorney that can help me finish this divorce case! She left me when I caught her having an affair. We were married for 8 years in California & have 2 daughters. She is now after my S corporation that doesn't list her name anywhere & no sort of paycheck was given to her from the corporation. With proof of her affair in a previous court case in the minutes.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience in family law, appeals, landlord-tenant, and other types of law. I look forward to helping you today.

Please note:This is general information and not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed, and no attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

Also – I will be typing my answer for you so I’ll be back in a few minutes.

Hello, we can do document preparation but that's usually an additional service. I did find a form for production of documents for you in California. It's self explanatory but it also comes with instructions for people without lawyers to do.

If you are looking for a lawyer in your area, I can give you names of lawyers if you let me know where you are located -- the nearest city would be good.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 9 months ago.

I can give you some general ideas of what you want to be looking for -- but you can also look at her request for production and ask for pretty much the same things as long as they are pertinent to your case.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I want to request everything she has requested from me and more! What are some valid items I should request?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have a feeling she has her name under some family businesses or properties and I want to request those documents, if she is under anything
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 9 months ago.

Okay, I can give you that. First, let me send the document to you. It will make it easier for you to fill out, okay?


Yes, definitely ask about businesses and properties. These are not interrogatories though, so you may want to do those as well. That's where you ask questions. You can do this and the interrogatories.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
where can i find a list of interrogatories I am allowed to request?
On her request, her line items are legally written. I want to copy paste the same descriptions
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 9 months ago.

In the above link there is another link after a few pages for request for production of documents

You can try to use that link. There is a sample on the page but it's already filled in.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 9 months ago.

I wouldn't do that because you would have to show why you want them. Her attorney will make a motion to dismiss the discovery as being not necessary for the case if you're just copying her stuff. If you want the same documents, at least say it in another way okay? You don't want to get a motion to dismiss/quash the document as being unnecessary.

Do you want me to find interrogatories?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I see, okay. I just wanted to use her same terms for the bank statements and general stuff. But, yes please i'll look into your interrogatories.
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 9 months ago.

You can do both. You can use what she asked for -- all I'm saying is word it differently and put it in a different order. Let them sit there trying to match it up with theirs ;>

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 9 months ago.

So the answer is yes, you can put in interrogatories and a request for production.

If you want me to find lawyers in your area just let me know what city you are near.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 9 months ago.

Discuss with your new attorney the strategy you want to use for asking questions about the S Corp. You can work together to devise a strategy. I don't want to give you a strategy that your lawyer may disagree with. You can have 10 lawyers and 10 different answers and they could all be right.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 9 months ago.

Let me know if you need names of attorneys. I'm happy to help you.

Please let me know if you have any more questions as I am happy to answer them.

Please accept my answer, rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars (5, 4 or 3 stars) and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information such as where to find a lawyer. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating.

Feel free to come back here for a follow-up question based on this one.
You're welcome to ask follow-up questions at any time, any day after I'm rated. Thanks so much!

A follow-up question is free if it is based on this one, while a new question would need a new post. Also you may make a copy of this transcript so you know what to do.

We are not employees of Just Answer but are independent contractors, so your rating is very important to us so that we can be reimbursed for our work. Thank you!

Thanks for letting me help you tonight!

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 9 months ago.

You can add a piece of paper to either document if you have additional questions. You're not limited to the questions on the pages, ok? Thanks in advance for rating me. Let me know if you want additional help.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 9 months ago.

Also, I thought I'd send you this:

In document production, both spouses make available all documents that relate to the divorce, the marriage, their separate property, incomes, etc. Any party has a right to see most documents that even arguably relate to the divorce and related issues that will require resolution -- including division of property, finances, and debt; child custody and visitation; payment and receipt of child support; and payment and receipt of spousal support (alimony).

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 9 months ago.

Okay, I just wanted to check in with you. Do these documents help you? Does this answer your questions?

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 9 months ago.

Hi, just checking in to see if you still need help with your question and if my answer was helpful for you or if there is any more information that you need. Thanks!


Customer: replied 9 months ago.
you have provided me with a lot of information. thank you, ***** ***** currently looking through the information
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 9 months ago.

Take your time. I know it's a lot to digest but discovery is a difficult part of a divorce case. Let me know if you need any additional help. I'm working on an appeal but I'll check in from time to time.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 9 months ago.

Please let me know if you need help with any of the forms. I'll be happy to help you fill things out if you'd like.

Related Family Law Questions