How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33014
Experience:  30 plus years of experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter is 18 and lives at college on a grant and

Customer Question

My daughter is 18 and lives at college on a grant and student loans do I still have to pay her father child support?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Colorado I also pay medical dental for 3 other children
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

If there is a court order in place for support then the support continues until it terminates under its own terms or by a later order or modification form the court. So, yes, you need to continue paying support.

You can go to court and file a motion to modify or terminate. If the court terminates the support then you can stop.

Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There is nothing in the order stating I have to pay for college. I have receipts from my 19 year old were I am paying for her school. If the 18 year olds dad and ant paying for school how can I be held to pay full child support when he doubles in money what I make.
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

When does the order say child support terminates?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Will it does say when but when we went to court she was living with her father now the lives with friend at college. She gets 5000 grant and 10000a semester in student loans
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

You can file a motion showing that the circumstances have changed and the change warrants a modification of the current order.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
does a motion cost or could it cost me more money? Colorado law says age 19 or graduated from high school it doesn't state college
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

Unless the order states it terminates automatically, you will need to go before the court. The order is what controls.

The motion itself should not cost anything. If you use your attorney then you will need to pay the attorney fees, but if it results in terminating child support before the order expires, you should end up ahead.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok thank you for your help is there a number for this site to cancel after one month
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

You are very welcome. If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!


I am not an employee of JA, but their customer service number is *****(###) ###-####