How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118651
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I divorced my Australian ex husband in 2005. The judge

Customer Question

I divorced my Australian ex husband in 2005. The judge ordered the child support to be 0 dollars because he was a foreign citizen in Australia who had quit his job. The divorce was in Michigan. I have since moved to Arizona. I found out my ex moved to San Francisco as a tax accountant. I applied for child support over two years ago. I still have nothing. No one has answers. My case worker in AZ has none nor the case worker in California. I need help before this deadbeat falls through the cracks.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If your divorce was in MI and you are now in AZ, you need to file a motion to the MI court to modify support and ask that court to evaluate support based on a significant change in circumstances. The other option since you are now residents of MI, you would ask the AZ court to take jurisdiction under the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Act (UCCJA) and your attorney in AZ would have to send a motion to the MI court to get them to agree to releasing jurisdiction to AZ which is now the child's home state. You can serve the ex in CA and he would be forced to fight this in AZ.
You are going to have to take this outside of child support enforcement division and use your own attorney because the child support enforcement unit is overworked, understaffed and not willing to really battle these interstate cases because they just do not have the resources. So you have to get an attorney and you have to file it in court to get any action that you are seeking.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.