How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29803
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question... I divorced my son's father 3 years

Customer Question

I have a question... I divorced my son's father 3 years ago... We have joint physical and legal custody. However I have the final say when it comes to medication. I asked my son's father years ago if I could give him medication for his diagnosed ADHD, he said no. I went ahead and gave it to him anyway because I have legal final say as to what happens with his medication. He father found out and still wants to take me to court... what do I need to do?
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 8 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

There's unfortunately no real way to prevent the father from taking you back to court if that's what he's determined to do. You can try to work things out with him, but if the only resolution he'll accept is you ignoring a doctor's advice to give your son his prescription medication, I'm not sure there IS an out-of-court resolution. With that said, all you need is a copy of the court order granting you the ability to make decisions regarding medication and a copy of the records where the doctor prescribed the medication, and the judge should rule that you didn't do anything wrong.

You could also include in your response to his motion a counter-motion asking the the judge order the father to give your son his prescriptions when they are together.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Did you have any other questions about this?