How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116716
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do i go about appealing my objection? the case is in

Customer Question

how do i go about appealing my objection?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: the case is in nevada
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: so let me explain. long story try to make it short. back in 2001 i left my childrens father i ended up in prison and had to pay child support. well when i got out i ended up getting back together with him.At this time i owed child support i was working and living in the same household as the family. i was the sole provider. I paid my chikd support/ to where the were sending me back money cuz i over paid. the started yto take out monies that i owed my ex for child support. well at that time him ad i went down and waived all future billing. they stopped taking monies out of my checks. well this past jaunary i ended up leaving him again. my youngest is 18 still living at home so by law if he is going to high school full te i am responsible for child support. not a problem if the kud was going fulltime and passimg anywayyhe ex went down and opened a case on me and all of a sudden i owe 21,000 from 2004 to 2016 i have been with the family from 7/2005 to 1/2016.supporting the whole family. so i objected to the order well tge are saying that my objection was not filed within the day period. i live in sacramento so i mailed it. it got there right on the day.whsat do i do/ he also kept everything of mine. paperwork and all.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes i would like to get what is right and truthfully mine out of the house that we lived together for years and if i owed ,21,000 dont you think that they would be taking my taxes and garnishing my wages? nothing i have had the same job forever and lived in the same place for ever.te county knows where i was how come all of asudden i owe?
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
At this point if they are claiming your objection arrived too late, you need to get your proof it was mailed before the proper deadline and you are going to now need to file a notice of appeal to the court. You will then need to file your appeal brief to the appellate division with an explanation that you were living in the home together with the other parent and paid for support while living together and attach any proof you have to the brief including your proof of having mailed it in time.
I would not suggest pursuing the appeal on your own without a local attorney and you can go to legal aid or call the state bar to get representation on the appeal as it significantly increases your chances and also will be helpful in getting the case law research necessary for your appeals brief.