Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My husband and I have been separated for eight years. My

My husband and I have been separated for eight years. My mother recently died. She left me a portion of her house in her will. She does not want the money to go to my husband. What can I do to honor her wishes and keep her money from going to my husband who will use it against me?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: Also, my mother-in-law wants to sue my mother's estate to pay expenses that she incurred while discrediting me.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California but my mother's estate was in Utah
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

My deepest condolences for your loss.

The inheritance from your mother is your separate property--it is not marital property. So, your husband cannot touch it. So, you do not have to take any special measure to protect the asset from your estranged husband. See California Family Code Section 770.