How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 19294
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I have been separated for eight years. My

Resolved Question:

My husband and I have been separated for eight years. My mother recently died. She left me a portion of her house in her will. She does not want the money to go to my husband. What can I do to honor her wishes and keep her money from going to my husband who will use it against me?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: Also, my mother-in-law wants to sue my mother's estate to pay expenses that she incurred while discrediting me.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California but my mother's estate was in Utah
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 9 months ago.

My deepest condolences for your loss.

The inheritance from your mother is your separate property--it is not marital property. So, your husband cannot touch it. So, you do not have to take any special measure to protect the asset from your estranged husband. See California Family Code Section 770.