How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116715
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This is regarding education law. I am being denied TAP

Customer Question

this is regarding education law. I am being denied TAP benefits for college due to filing taxes joint. The problem is that my husband left last year and has established a separate household which I have proof us. We had to file jointly because we are not legally separated yet. Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) is giving me a hard time in getting his income removed. I am currently on public assistance and have been the entire time since he's left. I have provided all the documentation showing that the income was all his that was filed, proof of Public Assistance, proof of the separate household as well. I want to know what my legal standing is
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: ny
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: such as?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no ok
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, as long as you are filing the same joint returns and as long as you are still legally married and have not even filed for separation or filed your divorce yet, they have no choice but to deny you the TAP assistance. You need to get your divorce filed in order to get some assistance for next semester, but for now, they must treat you as still married which would disqualify you.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Related Family Law Questions