How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16710
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is being held in pa on charges in va. He has an

Customer Question

My son is being held in pa on charges in va. He has an extradition hearing friday. He was picked in on warrants (sept and oct 2015) in va that he had no idea he had. All drug related, distribution and possession. He claims to never have been arrested on any of these charges. He was in the state of va until April 2016 when he started school in pa. He has since completed school , has been seeking treatment for his addiction, and had a job up until he was arrested on these warrants. Should he waive his right to a hearing or should he have a hearing?? If we don't waive his right to a hearing does it look bad for him like he doesn't want to be returned to face the charges against him? Or is it beneficial for him to have va does the extra work to get him extradited?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I cannot comment on your specific case, but generally, when it comes to felony drug charges, most states would order extradition, so basically, contesting extradition would simply mean spending more time in jail waiting to be extradited.

It generally, doesn't look bad or has any impact on the pending criminal case in another state if the defendant waives extradition hearing and it is generally important to consult and retain an experienced local attorney where these serious felony charges are pending and to have this attorney represent your son during his criminal case.

You can find an experienced and skilled local criminal law attorney by using this established and reputable attorney information / referral websites:
When, choosing a local attorney to represent you, it would be a good idea to choose someone who has a practice exclusively dedicated to criminal law, has at least 10 years of experience and handled similar matters and also regularly practices before the court located in the jurisdiction where your matter might be heard.
I wish you the best of luck!

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 8 months ago.