How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 108635
Experience:  I have handled a number of divorces, paternity, child custody, pre-nuptial and child abuse/neglect cases.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My cousin in China is marrying a US permanent resident, who

Customer Question

My cousin in China is marrying a US permanent resident, who has been living in China for 10 years and has no tax record in the US. He recently got a job in the US and she is going to school here. So they are planning on moving here together. The goal is to get green card for her. The question is, is it better for them to get married in China and then come here, or come here first and then get married. Which way is faster and more affordable?
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

There really isn't a choice there. She is not supposed to use a B-2 tourist visa to come to the U.S. if her intention is to stay. And marring a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident does not confer any immediate benefits. So basically, they should marry in China, he should petition for her and that will probably take about a year and a half to two years before she can immigrate to the U.S. If you made a mistake and he's actually a U.S. Citizen, then it would take about 9 months or so for her to process and come to the U.S.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Related Family Law Questions