How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAttorney Your Own Question
FamilyAttorney, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1472
Experience:  Owner, attorney in private practice, appellate attorney, GAL & former trial lawyer, licensed for 37 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAttorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I adopted my niece and nephew 5yrs ago. My niece began to

Customer Question

I adopted my niece and nephew 5yrs ago. My niece began to give me trouble at 15 didn't want to follow rules of any one. So she called my sister in Atlanta to say she was Abused. MY sister called Authorties on me. She has no knowledge of what I've been going through hasn't talked to me in quite a few years. So i gave her temporary guardianship on 7/23/16. She took my niece to Atlanta. Next thing i know there is a letter outside my house on10/20 saying i had to go to court on 10/21. I wasn't even aware that my niece was back in DE. MY sister didn't call me she sent her back she left her with Darlene KIng a total stranger she doesn't even know. She was taking me to court to get guardianship over my niece a non relative my niece barley knows this woman. I wasn't giving proper notice to answer in a timely manner. I feel like this was recklessly done behind my back. Iam being charged with abandonment and abuse. When I never was given a chance to defend myself. Is there anything i can do my reputation and character are being ruined by this. I have suffered at the hands of my sister's and Darlene who have never talked with about what was happening in my house.
You help is greatly appreciated.
Submitted: 11 months ago via Cornell Legal Info Institute.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience in family law, appeals, landlord-tenant, and other types of law. I look forward to helping you today.

Please note:This is general information and not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed, and no attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

Also – I will be typing my answer for you so I’ll be back in a few minutes.

Are you in Delaware, or is that just where your niece is?

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 11 months ago.

No matter where you are, this is a case that definitely needs a lawyer. If you can't afford a private lawyer, then you can look into Legal Aid. Either way, I can help you find either LegalAid or private lawyers in your area once I know where that is. I don't need your exact town - just a nearby city so that I can find sufficient legal services.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I know how difficult it is raising a difficult teen because I had to do that also. I don't know the exact circumstances here but I do know that in a lot of cases, kids who have issues of some sort, often resort to calling child protective for no reason. I have had many cases where this has happened. It's not fair, and it's not true, but it happens. These kids may or may not have psychological issues but they do have issues where child protective gets involved on false claims. I'm so sorry that has happened to you. Now we have to help you with it. I don't know exactly what you went through but I do have some idea because I know what I went through.

These are serious charges which could affect a job for you or could affect your character and reputation as you have indicated. You really need an attorney in your area to help you with this. This is not something that you should be doing yourself. If you let me know a large city near you, I can help you find lawyers. I would need to know if you need a private attorney or LegalAid. It is difficult to get pro bono attorneys.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 11 months ago.

Is there anything else I can do for you?

Did I answer your question? I'm more than happy to look for lawyers for you. I can imagine what you are going through because I went through something similar, and it's not fun.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 11 months ago.

You mention above that you didn't think that anyone would help you. Not only am I trying to help you but I also understand better than you think because I had to deal with a similar situation, so that's why I took your question because I was involved in a similar situation. I am trying to help you and I want to help you.

Would you rather have a phone call?

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 11 months ago.

I am here every day and am happy to take follow-up questions free of charge once I have been rated favorably. I appreciate the chance to help you tonight. Feel free to reach out to me. I understand more than you know and I am here to support you legally as well as generally. I'm happy to look for lawyers for you too at any time. You really need one here as you have too much going on to do this yourself.

Please let me know if you have any more questions as I am happy to answer them.

Please accept my answer, rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars (5, 4 or 3 stars) and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information such as where to find a lawyer. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating.

Feel free to come back here for a follow-up question based on this one.
You're welcome to ask follow-up questions at any time, any day after I'm rated. Thanks so much!

A follow-up question is free if it is based on this one, while a new question would need a new post. Also you may make a copy of this transcript so you know what to do.

We are not employees of Just Answer but are independent contractors, so your rating is very important to us so that we can be reimbursed for our work. Thank you!

Thanks for letting me help you tonight!

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 11 months ago.

Hi, just checking in to see if you still need help with your question and if my answer was helpful for you or if there is any more information that you need. Thanks!