Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My boyfriend is on state assistance. He is thinking about

Customer Question

My boyfriend is on state assistance. He is thinking about getting married. He has no property, just a car he is working part-time. He'll start to collect social security next year when is turns 62. If we do get married he wants me to protect my assets consisting of my own car, 1/3 of the home I currently live with my brother and sister and pension check.
My question is: He is currently getting medical through AHCCCS and $16.00 food stamps per month, he is paying rent for his apartment. If we do get married how with this affect my assets and his assets?
Thank you,
Theresa Ann Goshkarian ***@******.***
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 12 months ago.

Good day, my name is Brandon. I am a licensed attorney. Getting married could affect your assets, as well has his eligibility for AHCCCS and food stamps. You mentioned that you receive a pension check. How much do you receive, and what other sources of income do you have, if any?