How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116728
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in United Arab Emirates, I have 3 kids, and my

Customer Question

HI, my name is ***** ***** I live in United Arab Emirates, I have 3 kids, i'm Iraqi and my husband has American passport my husband wants to divorce me is there a way to take his half of what he owns as per the American law or that's not possible as my wedding contract was in United Arab emirates
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: that's in middle East, Dubai United Arab Emirates
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: yes but Arabic lawyer, I need an American lawyer to advice me and I don't know any my divorce appointment is 6th Nov as per the UAE law they say I can't as he is not living in the states and my contract ( wedding) is done in UAE not in US can you advice pls what should I do with my case i have 3 kids from him and all American and he is very rich here
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i have been living for 13 years with him
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
No, I am sorry to say that as long as you are in UAE or any other country the law of that country applies. US law does not apply just because your husband is a US citizen. Your divorce has to go in accordance with the laws in the UAE and you will get what your UAE attorney has told you based on the laws in UAE I am afraid, which really are not that generous. The US laws would only apply if you two were living in the US and divorce was filed in the US.

Related Family Law Questions