Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

I'm in NJ, my husband served me with divorce papers tonight.

Customer Question

I'm in NJ, my husband served me with divorce papers tonight. I don't want this, can an NJ judge order marriage counseling?
JA: Are there any minor children from the relationship? Who has legal custody?
Customer: there are no children
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no. I can't afford one
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: my husband has been involved with another woman since before he moved out
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 10 months ago.
I am sorry to hear that. Yes you can ask the judge to order you guys to try marital counseling before proceeding with the divorce case.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Even If my husband doesn't want it & states he "Just wants it done"?
you would contest the divorce.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If I contest it, can I have the other woman served at her job? She lives 3000 miles away in Spokane Wa
No there would be no basis to serve her unless you were calling her to be a witness with a subpoena
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I wanted her humiliated at her job & would like her to state under oath what their relationship is. He states he wants the marriage done & go our separate ways. I don't want this, i want to try to fix it
Only way to do that is to subpoena her to testify in court or to take her deposition. However that will not help your case in trying to resolve it with your husband. I can understand your feelings.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What can I contest with other then adultery? I was under the impression that a judge could not force someone to go to marriage counseling. What situation causes a New Jersey judge to order marriage counseling? Do you practice in New Jersey?
You are contesting going forward with divorce. You simply say you want to reconcile.

Let me know if you have any additional questions. Otherwise a positive rating of 5 stars would be appreciated.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
A judge cant force my husband to go to marriage counseling when he doesnt want to do it

Actually it depends on the judge. The judges encourage the parties to go through counseling before signing off on any divorce decree.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Not sure they do that where i live. We went to one, i firmly believe her words are what caused him to move out. He came to a second long enough to say he wasnt staying & left

I still think you can ask other than that you can simply contest the divorce and let the judge determine the best route forward.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Seems our friendship for the future rests on the divorce being amicable

That is something you would have to determine.

Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 9 months ago.