How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sierra900 Your Own Question
Sierra900, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1041
Experience:  Licensed to practice law in California
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Sierra900 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been spending a lot of my money to assist my parents

Customer Question

I have been spending a lot of my money to assist my parents while moving in with them for a period of transitioning while they go from being independent to dependent on others. Is it ok to reimburse myself for having to purchase a bed and a car rental for three weeks while making this move?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Sierra900 replied 11 months ago.


I will try and help. Can you tell me what you mean by reimburse yourself? Do you mean take their money?


Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Take is the wrong word to use. Reimburse, replenish my savings account because I had to use my funds to momentarily assist my parents and now i want to be reimbursed of my expenses incurred.
Expert:  Sierra900 replied 11 months ago.

Hello again,

I would say ask them. If they say yes and give you the money, fine. If not, then to arbitrarily "reimburse" yourself would be to steal. Keep in mind that you are under no legal obligation to help your parents, especially if it costs you money. Doing so is a choice on your part. You can't turn around and help yourself to their money without their consent. That would be theft and financial elder abuse. If you wish such an arrangement, set up a formal power of attorney and spell out in writing what you are entitled to.

I hope this helps.