Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I have attached our previous conversation and the judges

conclusion.How can he rule that...
I have attached our previous conversation and the judges conclusion.How can he rule that I was only entitled to receive 25%? It seems that the law clearly states I would receive 50%.***Did the judge rule against the law?The judge confirmed that the title was held in Joint Tenancy. As I understand it, Joint Tenancy can be severed and transferred to whomever without consent of the other parties. This property was held in "Joint Tenancy" it was not held as community property.I will provide a good tip for your complete response.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This question is for Phillips Esq.
10/21/2016
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for requesting for my assistance once more.

I have reviewed the attachments. In the "Conclusion" page the Court cited Civil Code Section 682(a), there is no such subsection. The relevant Code Section is Section 683.2. Based on my understanding of that Code Section, you are entitled to 50% of your mother's interest in the property because the transfer was made before her death. The Court for some reason is not making that distinction, but the Court should. If the transfer was made after her death, your share would be 25% pursuant to Probate Section 6401 if there is no Will. However, if she transferred her share to you while she was still alive, that should be 100% of her share, 50% of the entire property in accordance with Civil Code Section 683.2. So, the Court appears to be wrong here in only awarding you 25% of her share. You are entitled to 100% of your mother's interest in the property.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law