How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27253
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My question is..i was granted full and compleat custody of

Customer Question

My question is..i was granted full and compleat custody of my children due to mother abandond the children..her parents have filed a motion to intervean,there lawyer says it's to establish visitation,but after speaking with a few child professionals about the actions the grandparents have done in the past were they tried to keep my children from coming home..and now are facing charges for interfering..and falsifying info..also putting stuff into my children's heads about them living with them and a long list of harassment..i have decided that it's not in the best interest of my daughter's to see them..the oldest 8..expresses fear of the grandfather for previous question is what grounds do they even have to file for a motion to intervene after I have won full custody of children
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Indiana
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: There has been a guardian of lighten appointed and she agreed with me that it might not be good for them to see the children at all
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 9 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 9 months ago.

In Indiana, the court can grant visitation rights to a grandparent if the court determines that visitation would be in the best interests of the grandchild. However, not all grandparents are entitled to ask for grandparent visitation. A grandparent may ask the court for visitation rights with a grandchild ONLY if:

  1. The grandchild's parent is dead;
  2. The marriage of the grandchild's parents has been dissolved (in other words, they are divorced); or
  3. The child was born outside of marriage. (Note, however, that the paternal grandparents of a child born outside of marriage can ask for grandparent visitation ONLY if paternity has been established).

As such, this would ONLY give them standing to try and proceed but they also need to introduce evidence, over your objection, to show it is in the best interest of the children to grant it. If they can not and there are issues that are concerning or troubling for the court, it can be denied, since you, as the parent, have a right to refuse the visitation and make this decision.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 9 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Related Family Law Questions