Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

What is the responsibility of one taking guardianship of

another individual? Does that person...
What is the responsibility of one taking guardianship of another individual? Does that person have to live with you>?
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Ohio
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Ohio. I need some advice concerning this matter.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
10/19/2016
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am going to assume that this ward (the person who will be the subject of the guardianship) is an adult. If this is a minor, reply and let me know.

The ward does not have to live with the guardian. The guardian will, however, be responsible for the ward's decision making ability. Meaning, the ward will be able to make decisions for the ward on matters of medical, financial, and other matters. Often (especially if the ward has mental capacity issues), the ward's ability to enter into contracts is voided - the guardian has to do this on the ward's behalf.

The guardian will have a set of duties to the ward, which are outlined and explained HERE. This includes but is not limited to fiduciary duty, duty of loyalty, and other duties.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Ely, Counselor at Law
Ely, Counselor at Law