How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11823
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son was in a relation ship with a woman who was already

Customer Question

My son was in a relation ship with a woman who was already pregnant when they met. He has filled the role of father for nearly 16 years (the biological father has never been in the child's life) even though he and the mother are no longer a couple. The child does not know the truth and believes that we are her biological family. No father is listed on the birth certificate. Would we be able to get guardianship for educational purposes
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 11 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Is your son planning to remain part of the child's life? Does he support giving you guardianship for school purposes? What does the mother have to say about this?