How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6422
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I went through a divorce 4 years ago - no assets were

Customer Question

I went through a divorce 4 years ago - no assets were accumulated to be divided - only debt- I had a failed business and was audited and ended up with a $136,000 Wa State tax bill - I entered into a payment agreement 10-18-13 with tax agent - that debt was allowed to me in divorce - long and short - I was working on commission only and was not able to pay the debt - the agent told me that the case was marked un collectable - I never heard from them again - last night I received a notice of motion from my ex-husband stating I owed him $23,000 as he settled the claim with Wa State last June for $10,000 and he incurred $10000.00 in legal fees and anticipates another $2500 in legal fees for this motion. My question - he never ever told me they went to him to collect the debt- and never said anything for the past year - all of a sudden he filed this action and wants to not pay my support for this year. Can he do this?
Side note - we had signed a document stating that neither party could change any of the support or other agreed things for the 5 years of spousal support.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Maverick replied 11 months ago.

Even though the tax debt was allocated to you in the divorce, that divorce decree does not bind third parties such as the State. Since the State came after your ex for the tax debt, it appears that the two of you were jointly and severally liable. Under those circumstances, you ex [by virtue of the divorce decree] appears to have a right of indemnity to collect what he paid out from you.

As far as changing the support, it appears that he is not so much asking to change the support amount; but rather an offset for his losses on the tax issue.

I know this is not the answer you wanted to hear, but I am assuming that you are paying for a professional and honest answer.

Please Note:

(1) The information I provide is general in nature and for educational purposes only. For example, it may help you identify the scope of receiving unbundled legal services from a local lawyer. It should not be construed as “legal advice” or as the rendition of “legal services” on any subject matter. I am not a specialist in any field. This information may not reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction and is not guaranteed to be correct or complete. No attorney-client relationship is established without a signed written agreement and our communications are not confidential. Please do not act or fail to act based on this information alone. If you need legal advice or services regarding a specific matter, you should consult in-person with a local lawyer who can guide you after reviewing all the pertinent details of your situation. This disclaimer also applies to any telephone communications we may have.

(2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours.

(3) When we are done, please assign a feedback rating.