How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9912
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I are separating. He wants to take a car that

Customer Question

My husband and I are separating. He wants to take a car that is in my name only with him for his 16 year old daughter. I'm concerned about the legal ramifications that could fall back on me. He has no boundaries for his daughter and I would have no control of the car. Please advise.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 9 months ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Expert:  LegalGems replied 9 months ago.

If, during the divorce process, the parties decide to divide assets a certain way and the judge agrees, (the judge will typically rubberstamp the parties agreement unless it appears to be a product of unfairness/duress), then the party can request the court to order the parties to transfer title to the spouse that is being awarded the property. The reason this is done is for both insurance purposes, credit rating purposes, etc.

Basically the owner of a car is liable for any one who drives that car, so if the car is being awarded to the other spouse, title would need to be changed to reflect the change in ownership.

That process is here

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 9 months ago.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;
if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answer.