Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My mother and father were going thru a divorce in 2012, she

Customer Question
passed away prior to any...
My mother and father were going thru a divorce in 2012, she passed away prior to any final ruling in the case. My father then moved back into the house he recently passed away. During the time my mother was sole occupant of the house, I purchased and paid for many things which was included in the divorce case. I attempted to get these funds thru the court in 2014 and was unsuccessful. During that time my father signed over the house to my sister. He recently died and me and my other sister haven't spoken to my other sister(one who has ownership of house). Do me and my sister have any rights against the estate ? Since she is owner of the house, can I assume we have no rights and she and my brother will spilt the proceeds of the sale, leaving me and my sister with nothing ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
10/15/2016
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

So dad here deeded it to sister while alive, any other assets in either parents name here for probate?Was there a will for either one?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i am not aware of any will due to relationships being strained

So here if the house was deeded by dad to sister and there are no other assets you maybe without remedies.If there are other assets, cars, furniture ,etc you could lawyer up and make application for probate here under laws of intestacy( no will)

f you die with:

here’s what happens:

• children but no spouse
  • children inherit everything
  • spouse but no descendants or parents
  • spouse inherits everything
  • spouse and descendants from you and that spouse
  • spouse inherits the first $30,000 of your intestate property, plus 1/2 of the balance
  • your descendants inherit everything else
  • spouse and descendants from you and someone other than that spouse
  • spouse inherits 1/2 of your intestate property
  • descendants inherit everything else
  • spouse and parents
  • parents inherit remaining intestate property
  • parents but no spouse or descendants
  • parents inherit everything
  • siblings but no spouse, descendants, or parents

siblings inherit everything

You may consider a local lawyer here to claim your share including the house if mother owned at death not sure that dad had clear title to deed it away.The lawyer will have to review the deed records here and alws of intestacy you may have claim to part of house here from mother if she deceased first.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

PBA Lawyer Referral Service: 1-***-***-**** or(###) ###-#### Monday through Friday, from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM.

Consider a lawyer here you may well have a claim to a share of mothers interest in the home which was not probated apparently.Dad could only convey what he owed.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer