Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My daughters mother asked me to take my daughter due to her

Customer Question
being evicted from her section...
My daughters mother asked me to take my daughter due to her being evicted from her section 8 apartment due to her abusing the system. I agreed and paid for our fares to depart hawaii for misouri. Now she changed her mind. What can I do to file for custody. She always does this type of games with our child and I am tired of her games she has no home and is dragging my daughter around and not even letting her go to school. I have to return to work in a week what can I do.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/15/2016
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Were you married when the child was born? Is there any court order in place regarding custody at this time?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not married no court order in place

The first thing that you must do is establish paternity. Once that is done, you can petition the court to award you custody of the child. Seeing how you reside in a different state then the mother, one parent will have custody while the other will be entitled to visitation. This is not something whereby the Judge is going to be able to order shared custody, as a result of the distance between the parties. Once that happens, you can show why it is in the best interest of the child, to live with you, rather then the mother. In addition, if you bought tickets and incurred costs, in reliance on the agreement to take the child, you could also try and sue her to recover those costs as well. If you are going back in a week, you need to file this first thing Monday morning and try and get it heard on an emergency basis. I want to be upfront and honest with you, that it is going to be tough because of the short notice, to establish paternity and then obtain full custody and be able to relocate out of the State with the child, so you really need an attorney to handle this, if you do need to return.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is Tanielu's mom. I am trying to gather all the information for him because he is in transit heading to Hawaii. We wanted to figure out our next course of action. I live in hawaii but am visiting relatives in Samoa. Is it okay that I converse with you on the matter until he arrives in hawaii or would you prefer to speak directly to my son.
You can ask any questions and I am happy to respond

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer