How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Tutor, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Tutor, Esq.
Law Tutor, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 165
Experience:  N/A
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Tutor, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a court order in PA to continue my husbands insurance

Customer Question

I have a court order in PA to continue my husbands insurance till our divorce is final. But my employer dropped him from my insurance because I could not provide tax returns with both our names on with same address. I was going to try to add him in open enrollment but they are saying the same thing that I need marriage certificate and tax returns with both our names and addresses to add him. What do I do? Is this legal for the employer to do? I have contacted my insurance directly and it is the employer. Any advice or help would be appreciated.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I am an attorney with experience in multiple jurisdictions and I look forward to assisting you today. Note: (1) If you want legal advice, please consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) No specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed herein; and by continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and other site disclaimers.

Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

The Affordable Care Act (ACA) doesn't require employers to cover spouses in their health insurance plans, just dependent children. So they are not in violation of the ACA. However, it sounds unreasonable for the employer to require tax returns with both of our names and same address on the returns. Some couples file returns "married by filing separately". The marriage certificate is a reasonable requirement. Since you are required to keep him covered by court order, you may want to have an attorney write a letter to your employer requesting that they put him back on the insurance. Also, you may want to find out about filing an appeal with the insurance company. In additions to that, you may want to file a motion with the court to ask for a modification of the court order because you do not have the insurance available for your spouse at this time through your employer. You will be responsible for keeping him covered until the final divorce decree is entered and you don't want to be held in violation of the court order. I hope this helps.

Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.

If you have no further questions, please do not forget to leave positive feedback (click on the 5 stars at the top of your page), as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me.

A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. The insurance company is not the one denying coverage I called them directly. It is my human resource department. Legally can an employer refuse to offer insurance to a spouse if we don't live together and are going through a divorce? I was paying an additional amount to have him covered. Thank you
Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

When the court entered that order, they probably assumed you were able to keep him covered through your employer. Yes, in some cases, some employers treat separation the same as divorce and it is not illegal for the employer to do so. If that is their policy, then you do not have the coverage available through your employer for him and you must get the court to modify the order so that you are not held in violation of the court order. I hope this answers your question.

Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Also, please keep in mind that your spouse will still be eligible for the same insurance coverage under the COBRA act for a period of up to 36 months. The court will have to determine who will be responsible for the premium for such coverage.

Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any additional related questions? If not, can you please press a positive rating above in the star rating section so that I will be paid for my time assisting you today. I am paid nothing unless you press the middle star or the fourth or fifth star to the right of the middle star in the rating section above so I do appreciate a positive rating before you leave the website. THANK YOU VERY MUCH