How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29814
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Trying to get my 19 year old son out of my home. Indiana, No

Customer Question

Trying to get my 19 year old son out of my home.
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Indiana
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No have not he making everyone very uncomfortable in the home.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just need some answers it is very hard for my wife and I
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 9 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your frustration.

As long as you and your wife are in agreement, you can serve your son with a 30 day notice to vacate. You're not legally obligated to allow him to live with you rent free after he turns 18. As an adult in your home with your consent, he's subject to regular laws regarding a tenant (even if he doesn't pay rent). The notice should be in writing, and it should end at the end of a month (meaning a notice given today would be effective December 1.) You may have any third party adult hand it to him, or you can post a copy on the door to his room and also mail him a copy.

If he doesn't move out by the date indicated, you can go to court and have him evicted.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Did you have any other questions about this?