How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris T., JD Your Own Question
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4827
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Chris T., JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex husband owes me child support that is in arrears (my

Customer Question

my ex husband owes me child support that is in arrears (my daughter is now over 18) I have an order although he has now left the state. Can I hold him in contempt?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: The order is from California and he is now in Virginia but I dont know where
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Child support services in California is looking for him but its been 6 months.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: They said they cannot provide me with the address he gave them
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 10 months ago.

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.

If your ex husband was ordered by the court to pay a certain amount of child support and he is now in arrears on that support, you can file a motion for contempt. The judge will review the motion and his response (if he files one), and will examine a number of things, most importantly the amount he owes and the reason he hasn't paid. If he has the money, and simply refuses to pay for whatever reason, you stand a much better chance of the judge holding him in contempt than you would if he simply does not have the money or sufficient income to meet his obligation. The fact that that the child for whom he was ordered to pay support is now over 18 doesn't prevent the court from imposing sanctions.