How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 40984
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been divorced since 2005 and when I got a divorce I

Customer Question

I have been divorced since 2005 and when I got a divorce I knew nothing about my ex husbands pension plan.. I am now 62 years old disabled and drawing SSI.. I'm wondering if I can still file for my half of my ex husbands pension.. I live in Texas he lives in Wyoming.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: the divorced was filed in wyoming
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no Mm'am
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 9 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 9 months ago.

Yes you can motion the court in Wyoming where the divorce was granted, this is undivided marital property.You will need a lawyer, there is usually a forensic accountant or CPA the lawyer uses to calculate it and a QDRO qualified domestic relations order is entered and signed by the judge it orders the pension plan to divide and pay you a specific amount.You can still so this here, you will need Wyoming lawyer since divorce was granted there.You file where the divorce was, the court still has jurisdiction. The sooner you file here the sooner you start getting paid.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 9 months ago.

Lawyer referral through the state bar

This would not be a problem to file a motion here to divide the pension as an asset if the prior filings did not address this.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 9 months ago.

If you can positive rate when we are done it is always much appreciated.Let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.