RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

I have been divorced since 2005 and when I got a divorce I

Customer Question

I have been divorced since 2005 and when I got a divorce I knew nothing about my ex husbands pension plan.. I am now 62 years old disabled and drawing SSI.. I'm wondering if I can still file for my half of my ex husbands pension.. I live in Texas he lives in Wyoming.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: the divorced was filed in wyoming
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no Mm'am
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 9 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Yes you can motion the court in Wyoming where the divorce was granted, this is undivided marital property.You will need a lawyer, there is usually a forensic accountant or CPA the lawyer uses to calculate it and a QDRO qualified domestic relations order is entered and signed by the judge it orders the pension plan to divide and pay you a specific amount.You can still so this here, you will need Wyoming lawyer since divorce was granted there.You file where the divorce was, the court still has jurisdiction. The sooner you file here the sooner you start getting paid.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

Lawyer referral through the state bar

http://www.yellowpages.com/calumet-city-il/title-companies

This would not be a problem to file a motion here to divide the pension as an asset if the prior filings did not address this.

If you can positive rate when we are done it is always much appreciated.Let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.