Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Grandparent rights question, A.R.S. 25-409 court appointed

Customer Question
grandparent rights question, A.R.S. 25-409...
grandparent rights question, A.R.S. 25-409 court appointed new lawyer states that because the child was adopted that grandparent rights were severed. what if the child is the blood relative of the great grandparents and new adoptive grandparent. child's mother lost custody and in jail for drugs, child's grandmother adopted him and now is his legal adoptive mother, great grand parent are now legally his grandparents, great grand parents of child filed for grandparent rights, told because he was adopted they may not have any legal rights, adoptive grandparents (same people) asked for grandparent rights. does the adoption sever all rights when the grandparents are the same person and the child is the same person, meaning legal status has changed but were talking about the same family.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
10/12/2016
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, once the adoption occurred they are correct that the grandparent's rights are severed and they are legally no longer grandparents. Even if the adoptive parents are related to the great grandparent and grandparents, the rights of a grandparent end. So, under the law, which was set forth in Troxel v. Granville by the US Supreme Court, they are no longer the grandparents, they are merely blood relatives of the child and they have no real legal rights for visitation under any of the grandparents rights laws.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer