How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11798
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My roommate is going through a divorce, but managed to get

Customer Question

My roommate is going through a divorce, but managed to get pregnant (and gave birth a few months ago to a little girl). They have barely started with the divorce papers. She saw a judge today and had everything ready to go as far as paperwork to get child support from the real father (he had defaulted.. never answered when she filed). The judge dismissed the case because she is still married. Oops! What order is she supposed to do things in? Does she need to just finish her divorce first, or is there a way to get child support from the father before she's divorced?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Arizona
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: see above
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's all
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.


Has she filed a paternity case against the biological father?