How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29799
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can child support be reinstated if the child dropped out of

Customer Question

Can child support be reinstated if the child dropped out of school at 16 and turns 18 then re enrolls in highschool in the state of Texas
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no My ex just told me about enrolling him back in school today
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: She said I would be paying child support again until he turned 22. I just finished paying for child support in June.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 9 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

What Texas law says is that child support continues until the child turns 18 or graduates from high school, whichever is later. Family Code, Section 154.001. Check your court order to see if there is any differing language. If your son did not pass a high school equivalency exam before turning 18, is still living with the other parent, and is now in high school, yes, she could go back to court and get an order that you are required to keep paying support. The judge can modify your order.

You could try defeating such a motion by presenting evidence that your child told you they were never going to complete high school, if you reasonably relied upon that order, but you'll most likely have to keep paying until he drops out again, gets married, enlists in the military, or moves out of his mother's home.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Did you have any other questions about this?