How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAttorney Your Own Question
FamilyAttorney, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1360
Experience:  Owner, attorney in private practice, appellate attorney, GAL & former trial lawyer, licensed for 37 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAttorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can you suggest away I can take care of these matters on my

Customer Question

can you suggest away I can take care of these matters on my own? I have nothing to hide from the court. I may work hard but the money is just not there.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 9 months ago.

Hello again, and the same applies -- you know my background and also know that there is no attorney-client relationship here.

Yes, you can represent yourself. I know you posted another question but I don't know if you want me to answer both or if you just want me to answer here.

How much is left to be done in the divorce action? And btw, you can print out these transcripts so that you have it. I can help you prepare for your case. I mean, it would be more costly than these questions but it would be a lot less than paying for a private attorney.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 9 months ago.

Do you want me to just answer here?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 9 months ago.

Okay, trying to save you a buck. You can ask customer service to close out the other one because it's essentially the same question as here.

Where are you in your divorce case? What is left to be done?

For example, there's a divorce agreement that she did that is poorly drafted because things are left out. I would be a LOT of things are left out. But where are you in the case? What is the next phase of this case?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There is no more We have been divorced November 2011. This is all about child support and extra curricular, which is out of control and medical and co pays. I am liable for 50% of extra curricular which she as submitted to me 900.00 in the last 4 months and 3031.00 in medical (Braces) and 114.00 Medical and over 100.00 in co pays in the last month. I cannot afford all of this and she keeps throwing the 14 days in my face
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
worded poorly is right you should see how she worded overtime LOL I am to pay 32% of any overtime over 80hrs really well that got squashed.
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 9 months ago.

You have 14 days to pay this, right? Just trying to see if this was the deal.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 9 months ago.

Okay so this is a post-divorce matrimonial. This is different from a case that is a divorce in progress.

So is she bringing a motion for these expenses?

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 9 months ago.

Above-- I meant "I would BET that a lot of things were left out." Sometimes I type too fast for my own good.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 9 months ago.

Also you're going to want to close that other question or you will have someone else answer it. That's up to you -- you are entitled to a second opinion if you want.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thats what the court order says. She did work out payments on the one bill for 700.00 but when I asked about payments afterward she went right for the 14 days and what the judge ordered. She has yet to give me and answer of the 3031.00 that was she submitted. Although she did say that she paid upfront and she wants what I owe her. This is why I fear a court summons pretty soon. Believe me she works fast too.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I dont know how
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no I dont know how to close it but I wont let anyone else answer it now I just wont respond I guess
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 9 months ago.

Okay that's up to you regarding the question. Right now there are three other family lawyers here and there will be more in the morning.

She would have to bring you to court to say you haven't paid it.

You can ask her for an accounting of it -- to explain and itemize what it represents. You can say you're not responsible for orthodontic work but she may take you to court over it, so you'll have to have someone --a dentist or an orthodontist--say it wasn't medically necessary and that it was an issue that didn't need to be corrected. You would have to argue that the order doesn't provide for orthodontic or dental at all.

Then it's up to the court. A court could change your agreement; that's something to keep in mind.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 9 months ago.

If you think she's going to serve you with a summons soon, the only way you can talk her out of it is probably to negotiate with her but she's not going to be happy when she finds out that she didn't include dental. You could find a judge who will want to include it, but you could also find a judge who says nope, no dental, no orthodontist, that was left out.

I can always help you answer the complaint/petition that she files or if she files a motion for expenses. We can do document preparation here and I'm a writer and appellate attorney, so that's right up my alley.

Hope this answers your question.

Again, thanks in advance for rating. It's been my pleasure to help you this evening.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
okay I will talk to my wife, I need to know how much this is all going to cost you walking me through this
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 9 months ago.

I'm not sure how much document preparation is because it's a new service. It's going to be ridiculously inexpensive compared to hourly legal rates. That's totally up to you. I can find Legal Aid for you in Ill. but I don't know if you will qualify and because you're out of state I don't know if they will take it. That being said, you can always call and ask.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 9 months ago.

I think I have the correct county - Will County?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Will County Illinois
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 9 months ago.

Okay, that's what I thought. You can try calling Legal Aid to see if they can help you even though you're out of state, but you'll also have to qualify on income too. If not, then you need to either do this by yourself or get an attorney to do this for you. If you don't want to hire an attorney, we can do document preparation and as a separate question I can prepare you to argue the motion if it's going to be argued. I argue appeals in NY so I'm used to arguing cases.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
okay I will discuss this with my wife and I will get back to you can I reach you tomorrow When I log back on
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 9 months ago.

Okay, I hope this has helped you and thank you in advance for your rating.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 9 months ago.

I have to go out tomorrow for about an hour but after that I should be here by around 1 pm EST if not sooner. I will look for your message which will come into my email inbox.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 9 months ago.

Hi, just checking in to see if you still need help with your question and if my answer was helpful for you or if there is any more information that you need. Thanks!


Related Family Law Questions