How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29978
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Second opinion] - I recently moved to Tennessee All of my

Customer Question

Second opinion] - I recently moved to Tennessee All of my divorce case was filed in will county Illinois by my ex wife. What State do I obtain a lawyer?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I am in Tennessee, my divorce case is in Illinois
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: All has been filed in Will County Illinois, but I live in Tennessee and am now needing a lawyer?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I want to know if I can continue my case from here In Tennessee? or do I have to go back to Illinois? I am trying to avoid travel as it will conflict with my job.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 10 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

You want a lawyer in Illinois. Lawyers must be licensed in any state where they practice, and you're not likely to find a lawyer licensed in both Tennessee and Illinois. Once a divorce is filed in one state, the courts will not transfer it to another. If you wife hadn't filed for divorce yet, you potentially could file in Tennessee, but there's a 6 month residency requirement before you could file AND you have to be living separate and apart for two years, so you'd have to wait.

An Illinois lawyer can travel to most of the hearings for you, although you may have to travel if the case goes to trial. Your lawyer can request that you be allowed to appear and testify by telephone if you cannot make it back.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Did you have any other questions about this?

Related Family Law Questions