Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
26296561

I got married in 2014 to a man I thought was single. In

Customer Question

I got married in 2014 to a man I thought was single. In 2015, he had his marriage to the other person annulled. Now, as in a week ago, she is claiming that they have a child. She sent the birth certificate with has his name on it. He claims that he knew about the child, which he never told the lawyer, but it wasn't his cause he left her at the end of 2008. The marriage certificate he showed the lawyer showed a year of 2008. The date of marriage certified on the birth certificate shows may 2009. What does this mean for my marriage to him and what are the possible ramifications?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is ***** *****

Thank you for your question.

I will be happy to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am not permitted to tell JustAnswer.com what to do in their specific situation or list all of the legal rights that might potential apply in any specific situation, as such legal advice can only be provided by your local attorney, upon review of your entire case.

I can however, provide you with a general answer, if you have a legal question for me?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is he still married to her and or me or both?

Thank you for your follow up.

Was your husband legally married at the time that you go married to him?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apparently yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But then he got it annulled but the date she is showing and the date he showed are different.

Thank you for your follow up.

Generally, it is illegal to get married to another person, while the person is still legally married, so such marriage would be voidable and generally the best way to resolve the issue is to register the marriage again after the previous marriage was annulled or divorce was granted.

I wish you the best of luck!

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 12 months ago.