How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33006
Experience:  30 plus years of experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it illegal in Utah for a husband to change the locks on

Customer Question

Is it illegal in Utah for a husband to change the locks on the doors to prevent his estranged wife from getting in to remove her clothing and personal items?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

Has there been any sort of agreement between the spouses regarding exclusive possession of the marital home during the separation?

Has the wife moved out to her own residence?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There has been no agreement.
She does not have her own residence separate from their home. She did leave a week ago to go to a safer place.
In the meantime, her husband changed the locks so she cannot go in to retrieve her clothing and personal items.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The safer place was to be a one-week hiatus from their house, to give them time to assess their situation.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Loren, are you there, or do you have a reply?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information. Sorry for the delay. I had to step away to go into a meeting.

No, it is illegal for a spouse to bar the other spouse from the marital home, absent an agreement or court order stating otherwise.

The wife can go to the police and they should help her re enter the marital home.

Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!