Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Is it illegal in Utah for a husband to change the locks on

Customer Question
the doors to prevent his...
Is it illegal in Utah for a husband to change the locks on the doors to prevent his estranged wife from getting in to remove her clothing and personal items?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
10/10/2016
Family Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs, and I look forward to assisting you.

Has there been any sort of agreement between the spouses regarding exclusive possession of the marital home during the separation?

Has the wife moved out to her own residence?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There has been no agreement.
She does not have her own residence separate from their home. She did leave a week ago to go to a safer place.
In the meantime, her husband changed the locks so she cannot go in to retrieve her clothing and personal items.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The safer place was to be a one-week hiatus from their house, to give them time to assess their situation.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Loren, are you there, or do you have a reply?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
12:27

Thank you for the additional information. Sorry for the delay. I had to step away to go into a meeting.

No, it is illegal for a spouse to bar the other spouse from the marital home, absent an agreement or court order stating otherwise.

The wife can go to the police and they should help her re enter the marital home.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!

Loren, Lawyer