How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawyerDavid Your Own Question
LawyerDavid, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 365
Experience:  Highly experienced attorney Commercial Law, Litigation, Intellectual Property Law, and Family Law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawyerDavid is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Circuit Court Interrogatories and request for production of

Customer Question

Circuit Court
Interrogatories and request for production of documents.
I have 21 days to respond.
When do the 21 days start? I was out of town and a posting was on my door.
I found it when I returned. Do I start counting the day that I found it or the day after I found it?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawyerDavid replied 9 months ago.

You should calculate from the date the interrogatories were served. There is usually a certificate of service attached to the interrogatories or a date where they are signed. Calculate the 21 days from that date. In most cases you can get an extension of time to respond to interrogatories and other discovery requests if you need it. Just call the attorney that served them and ask for more time and they are customarily granted. However, don't wait until the last minute in case they refuse to provide the additional time and you need to serve you responses. On your responses, get them stamped in the mail the day they are due. I hope this helps, David

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Served means that you received them?
Expert:  LawyerDavid replied 9 months ago.

No, seved means the day they provided them to you. If you were gone you can argue you were not served them on your door, but on something like this you want to calculate based on the day they provide in the certificate of service. If you cant respond in time call and ask for an extension.