Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Circuit Court Interrogatories and request for production of

Customer Question
Virginia Circuit Court Interrogatories and request for...
Virginia
Circuit Court
Interrogatories and request for production of documents.
I have 21 days to respond.
When do the 21 days start? I was out of town and a posting was on my door.
I found it when I returned. Do I start counting the day that I found it or the day after I found it?
Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
10/10/2016
Family Lawyer: LawyerDavid, Attorney replied 1 year ago
LawyerDavid
LawyerDavid, Attorney

You should calculate from the date the interrogatories were served. There is usually a certificate of service attached to the interrogatories or a date where they are signed. Calculate the 21 days from that date. In most cases you can get an extension of time to respond to interrogatories and other discovery requests if you need it. Just call the attorney that served them and ask for more time and they are customarily granted. However, don't wait until the last minute in case they refuse to provide the additional time and you need to serve you responses. On your responses, get them stamped in the mail the day they are due. I hope this helps, David

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Served means that you received them?

No, seved means the day they provided them to you. If you were gone you can argue you were not served them on your door, but on something like this you want to calculate based on the day they provide in the certificate of service. If you cant respond in time call and ask for an extension.

LawyerDavid
LawyerDavid
LawyerDavid, Attorney