How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30168
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a civil judgment dated 3/8/2010 Case No 09091131

Customer Question

I have a civil judgment dated 3/8/2010 Case No 09091131 entered in my favor by Judge Denise P. Lindberg. The judgment was defamation, assault and batter, and intentional infliction of emotional distress. The award was for $10,000 plus costs of the action in the amount of $802.83. The defendant is Gregory Allan Glover. He is my wife's ex husband. He is negligent in child support obligations to the tune of $4,000 that she just filed. His wages have to be garnished for regular child support because he won't pay on of his own volition. I have waited nearly 7 years to get something from my civil suit awarded but I have been told he cannot have multiple garnishments. He has bought his daughter a car, he buys computers and cell phones for his kids, and frankly I think it is completely unfair that I won my case (and spent $6000 in legal fees to do so) and cannot get a penny. What can I do?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Utah
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I was told by another lawyer it would do no good to file a writ of garnishment because the law won't honor mine if he has another one already in place.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I have the case information if he/she has further questions.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 11 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

There unfortunately isn't any way to garnish his wages if they're already being garnished for child support. You can renew the judgement and wait until his child support is paid, but that will take a while.

You also have the option of serving him with Post Judgment Interrogatories, asking him for information about his income and assets. It may be possible to seize the car he bought his daughter if his name is ***** ***** and he owns another vehicle. It may be possible to put a levy on his bank account once you know where it is and take any money stored there. You could file a lien on his house if he owns one and try to get payment if he ever wants to sell or refinance the property. You can't foreclose the lien unless there's more than $30,000 in equity ($60k if he's married), but you can stop him from moving or getting another loan on the property, and that might help induce him to pay you. It is also possible to hire a local attorney who specializes in collections to help you get paid. They usually take a percentage of what they get for you - I know that's not ideal, but it could be better than nothing.

The fourth option is to sell the judgement to a collections agency and let them deal with them. The primary problem with that approach is that you'll get significantly less than the total you're owed. But it might be worth asking around, just to see.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Did you have any other questions about this?