How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD 1992 Your Own Question
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33555
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JD 1992 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I wanted to what actions do I need to take in order to get

Customer Question

I wanted to what actions do I need to take in order to get my paternal rights
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  JD 1992 replied 10 months ago.

To have yourself established as the father of the child you have to file a Petition for Paternity or a Petition for Voluntary Paternity. Those are actually the same document but I like using the word "Voluntary" in the heading so the judge sees that the father is the one seeking rights.

Then, you have the mother served with the petition. If the mother objects she can file an opposition to the petition and the judge will order DNA testing.

After the DNA testing is done, and it usually comes back as 99% likely that you are the father if you actually are, the judge will order child support and issue orders for visitation.

Normally you have only one hearing in the case because if the other side asks for DNA testing to be done there is no reason to oppose it, the judge will order it. Therefore the only hearing you have is the final hearing.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.

Related Family Law Questions