How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41043
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our divorce filed (in California) by my ex-wife was not

Customer Question

Our divorce filed (in California) by my ex-wife was not finalized. She has re-married. She's not cooperating to complete or to finalize our divorce and I'm ready to get married myself. What should I do?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 9 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 9 months ago.

You can file yourself here.It is possible her petition was dismissed if she has not moved forward with it.You file and have her served.You should not trust that she will deal with this.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 9 months ago.

If she has a valid divorce petition and case number ***** can file answer here and set the matter for trial so that you can get divorced.You do not have her to agree here, the judge will set it and divide property.

Forms and self help

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 9 months ago.

If you want to sue your own lawyer, here is lawyer referral

call the State Bar of California at
(866)(###) ###-####/a>

You can move forward with this even if the ex has not followed through.Thanks again.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There were no properties involved. We did this ourselves back in 2003 and I gave her the money to file for the divorce. Now I have to pay again?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 9 months ago.

You would check here, and yes if she did not file here then you have to do so if you want to be divorced.

I sent you an offer for unlimited chat, am not set up for calls,You accept and we will chat until you are done.Thanks.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can I file a complaint against her? She has remarried before our divorce is finalized.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Never mind. I was hoping you could help me in filing a complaint against her since she was not cooperating with the completion of the divorce. I already knew that I could file it myself to finalize it as suggested at the family court office.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I signed up for unlimited follow-up questions and you're charging me $60 to chat with you? I think it's better I talk to a lawyer in person. Thanks anyway.
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 9 months ago.

You are so welcome.Let me know if you have more follow up.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 9 months ago.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Good luck with the divorce.Never trust the ex here, this is bigamy if she remarried without divorcing.