How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37639
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is in a group home in skokie,il. We are not guardian

Customer Question

My son is in a group home in skokie,il. We are not guardian of him the state have him. I was just wondering if we have right to visit him any time? Our son is slightly retarded bipolar and has learning disabilities he has ADHD. He wants to come home and they said no he will never come home to us. He wants to kill himself because he his not happy their.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Because your son is a ward of the state, it is the state of IL that has full control over who is allowed to be around your son. If you do not presently have visitation rights that might have been provided to you at the time your son was placed in the group home by an agency of the state, then in order to be allowed visitation you would have to file a petition with the court in the county where your son is living and seek visitation rights.

A local family law attorney should be able to assist you in petition the court for visitation.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Do we the right to see our son?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

As you have asked for a phone call, I would be happy to call you so w can discuss all of your issues. Iwill offer you that Premium Service and I'll process that offer to you after I get this posted to your question thread.

After you accept my offer of the phone call, would you please provide your phone number? After you do that, please send me a quick Reply to let me know that you have posted the number, so I can call you.

Thanks in advance,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.


You asked for a phone call and I made that offer to you. You will need to put a check in the small box and then click on the accept icon.

I look forward to speaking with you.


Related Family Law Questions