How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2982
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

50 yrs.ago I became pregnant by my fiance. I was 17 he was

Customer Question

50 yrs.ago I became pregnant by my fiance. I was 17 he was 18. The previous month on New Years Eve we went to Mexico to get married , that's was a popular thing to do then. But they wouldn't marry us. When his father found out I was pregnant he got his son and put him away somewhere where I couldn't find him. He spoke w/a priest who told him if we married our child would go to hell. Of course there is a lot more to know but I want to know if I am due anything? I live poorly and he and his brothers have money and property and after all this time I'm still hurt. I should at least get something. I dearly paid and he didn't.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location. Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I am in Tx.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't guess.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using Give me a bit and I will draft you an answer.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Did you ever get a Court order for child support? Child support collection is unique. You never lose your right to collect it, even if the missed payments were decades ago. If you got an order for child support back then, you can still collect on past due child support although the support ended when the child turned age 18. If there is not order from then, unfortunately, there is nothing you can do to recoup the child support that would have been due. Since the child is past the age of majority and this case is so old, it is unlikely you will be able to collect anything if you never got a court order for child support. So to answer your question, with an order and a past due amount for child support, you could still be reimbursed for the past amount due if you file a civil suit for the past due amount, with no such amount, you will be unable to collect.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated. See link for how to rate: