How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 19106
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The mother was awarded $5,500 in med sum in 2007. The father

Customer Question

The mother was awarded $5,500 in med sum in 2007. The father submitted the payment to child support services within 30 days. He made a phone call to child support services 10 days later and confirmed they received it, also requested the check to be applied towards the med sum. The child support services applied (without the father's knowledge) some of the money towards the arrears in child support - the father was not notified. The father did nor receive any statements from child support services. In 2010, the mother went to court and received an order that the med sum be paid to her. The father did not appear in court, he did not get served (although the court has a form showing that the mother allegedly served him). Obviously, the father did not rectify the issue, as he was not aware of it. The mother did not speak to him at all. In 2016, the mother went to child support services with the order from 2010 and the father was forced (with the bank levy) to pay her $5,500 in med sum and also $2,500 in interest. The father filed the motion with the judge, explaining all this, the child support services lawyer was present and agreed that it all happened the way the father described it. The judge then denied the father's motion to have the interest be reimbursed to him. The father even showed that the mother failed to notify everyone about the issue sooner (which would, of course, lower the interest significantly). What are the father's chances to get the interest money back or at least some of it?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 9 months ago.

50/50 chance since the Judge has already turned down his motion after hearing from him and even after the child support Attorney agreed that he was telling the truth. He needs to appeal the case to the higher Court and see what the Court would say--, whether the higher Court would reverse the case and send it back to the lower Court.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.