How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27172
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My grandmother passed away and i was named me a beneficiary

Customer Question

JA: Hello. What do you want help with?
Customer: yes, my grandmother passed away and i was named me a beneficiary in her will. it states that my uncle and i am to split everything as he is the trustee and holding my inheritance in a testamentary trust until i reach the age of 30, i have angered him by taking a semester off in college and he has threatened to remove me from the will. is that possible ?
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: alabama
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no i have not, was just curious if he could legally do that. i mean me and him are the only beneficiaries.
JA: The lawyer is ready to answer your family law question. Is there anything else you want him to know?
Customer: no that is it really i just have that one question
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 9 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 9 months ago.

Good morning. No, it is not possible and he can not do this. The will, which your grandmother made, will control. By that, I mean his obligation and fiduciary duty is to carry out her wishes and if your inheritance is in a trust, he shall be given to you according to the terms and conditions, once you reach 30. Unless there is something that allows him to withhold money if you take off college, he can be as mad as he wants but can not remove you from the will, change the will or withhold your money. He has a legal obligation to carry out her wishes.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 9 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 9 months ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Related Family Law Questions