Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My in-law has been very intrusive in her behavior, granting

Customer Question
herself the liberty to use...
My in-law has been very intrusive in her behavior, granting herself the liberty to use her influence to in force her will on my wife and I's relationship...she has successfully managed to convince my wife to divorce me... even though I have expressed to her my concern about her influence it still continues and has now completely ruined my marriage. I was wondering if this is enough to file for constructive abandonment... also my wife refuses to have any sexual relationship with me. We have been sleeping separately for a year now and her behavior is so extreme at times I have no peace in my own home...so I have been forced to leave. I would very much like to work out any issues we have and I even sought out professional marriage counseling but she's rather seek counsel from her mother. A women who has on several occasions expressed hatred and prejudice against me for simpling not carrying the same.social status as them.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Iowa
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We have two children
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
10/4/2016
Family Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Thank you for your patience. I'm sorry to hear about your circumstances.

Iowa is a purely "no-fault" divorce state, meaning that you can't allege that your spouse's wrongdoing was the cause of the divorce. Instead, most divorces are based on the grounds that the parties have irreconcilable differences that have led to the breakdown of the marriage. However, fault may be considered by the court as a factor in dividing property or awarding alimony.

Alienation of affection is a tort claim for willful or malicious interference in a marriage by a third party without excuse or justification. There are only nine states that consider alienation of affection a viable cause for action, and unfortunately, it has not been the law in Iowa in over 35 years. Therefore, you wouldn't have a cause of action against your mother in law for interfering in your marriage.

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating.

If you need clarification
about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you

You're very welcome! Please remember to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars, so I'm credited for my time and assistance this evening. Thank you!

RobertJDFL, Lawyer