Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I'm being sued for alienation of affection by the husband of

a woman who I chatted...
I'm being sued for alienation of affection by the husband of a woman who I chatted with on line 2.5 years ago. I've never met the woman, it was simply an on line conversation. Frankly, I do not even even know her name. At no time did I ask her to leave her husband. It was flirtatious and fun, but that was the extent.
The letter from the husband's lawyer is a request to settle for $10K or they will have a summons issued and file a complaint.
Suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/3/2016
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. To be clear, you're being sued (in that they've already filed a legal complaint with a court and are going to serve you with the complaint) or that this is a pre-suit letter?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Pre-Suit --- titled "For Settlement Purposes Only Inadmissable in court pursuant to rule 408". I received this on 9/28, I have until 10/7 to pay $10K or they will then file a complaint. Seems like extortion to me, but I'm not a lawyer.

I tried to accept your phone call request, but for some reason there was a payment failure.

ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Phone call session started

I think it worked this time. When would be a good time to call you?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You can try again, had to update a credit card

I think that worked this time. When's a good time to call?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Now would be great.

Okay. Give me a couple of minutes. I'll call shortly.

It was a pleasure talking with you today. Again, I wish you the best of luck in this matter, and hope it clears up soon.

Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!

ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer