How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttyHeather Your Own Question
AttyHeather, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 677
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AttyHeather is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My issue is very complex but ill try to condense it if i

Customer Question

My issue is very complex but ill try to condense it if i can, My daughter ran away at aprox15-16 to my ex husbands house , as my rules were strict and i had found out she had been experimenting with drugs. ( hes not her biological father, hes my first husband). He was plying her with gifts, buying her cars, expensive clothes,anything she wanted. He was alsi alieanating her from me. Wouldnt let me see her, told me she didnt want to see me, he cintrolled her. Two years after the fact, i found out she was using heroin. Without proper consent my exhusband sent her to Detroit to have a procedure done where they put you asleep and flush your body with some drug. I nearly died when i found this out from her along with everthing else. Now through all these years i tried to get her away from him, and get her help to no avail. So from 16 years old to 27 shes still using. So bad was her addiction, the EMTs were at my exs house two to three times a week. August 21, 2016 she was found sitting up slumped over in her room, drugs were all over her bed. My ex never tryed cpr, but he called 911. She was pronounced dead. Shouldnt this pos be held criminally liable?? A grieving mother filled with rage
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 10 months ago.

Hi! I'm Heather. I've been a practicing attorney for the last 15 years, and I'd be happy to assist you for informational and educational purposes.

Expert:  AttyHeather replied 10 months ago.

Oh my gosh, that is such a horrible situation and I'm so sorry for your loss. Was your daughter in her father's house when she died?

Expert:  AttyHeather replied 10 months ago.

THere are many jurisdictions in which if drugs are found in a home, all adults are arrested and charged with the same thing, unless one person immediately declares that everything belongs to that one person. That might be a direction you could go, and it would have to be the law enforcement in his location that decide this question, so you would want to file a complaint with that law enforcement department and let them know the history of what has occurred.

Let me know if that helped or not.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
she was there, please remember that my ex is not her father. She had left the house for about an hour ( coukd have been a drug run ) came back and went uostairs to her roim. There was an uncapped needle found on the scene, but not in her arm,
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 10 months ago.

Well, it could be argued that he was involved in some way, when he allowed this to go on for years.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ive begged ,pleaded, gotten beat up by him and had the police arrest me!! For going to his house and trying to see her. Hes known all along shes been using and tried to cover it up. I certainly couldnt do an intervention with him blocking all my attempts.
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 10 months ago.

Talk to the law enforcement first, and if you don't get anywhere with them, maybe you should try to get a meeting with the prosecutor in that area.