How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttyHeather Your Own Question
AttyHeather, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 677
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AttyHeather is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im asking this for my daughter who lives in oak ridge,Tn she

Customer Question

im asking this for my daughter who lives in oak ridge,Tn she has been sharing custody of her 12 yr old son for past 10 yrs no problems. He remarried couple months back and new wife wants my daughter nowhere in her sons life so now the ex husband has denied her any visitation rights that are court ordered. she went today to pick up her son from school on her scheduled time to have the child and school refused to let her get her son stating that since the father has him 1 more day a yr then she does that he has to approve it. The school was not even informed of his birth mother and they dont have her on his check out list of people who can remove him from the school. The step mother informed the school today that my daughter is not allowed even come near the school. She has tried to contact the court to see about filing a contempt of court papers against her ex but the court clerk insist she needs an attorney to file these papers. She has no money to afford a lawyer to even see her son. What else can she do? I cant believe if a person is poor and cant afford an attorney that person loses all rights to their child?????? When the papers signed by a judge says she has rights to this child!!!!!!! She has asked a police officer about going with her to pick him up but they refuse stating its a civil matter to take him back to court and again NO MONEY to do this. PLZ HELP
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 9 months ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 9 months ago.

It's very hard or us to a statement like "please help" or "what can she do" and provide you with helpful information. I need you to be more specific in your question(s) if you could. When we answer general ones like "what do I do", "what are my rights", or "what are my options", we have to give general answers and, invariably, the customer responds with "I already knew that". This type of forum works better if you ask specific questions so we know exactly what you are looking for.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
what else can she do legally to get her visits back with her son?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 9 months ago.

Can you tell me, the current custody order...what does it provide? What times are given to her?

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 9 months ago.

Oh...I see you asked this question already and another expert is working with you on it...I will opt out and defer to them...

Expert:  AttyHeather replied 9 months ago.

What a hard problem. She hasn't lost her rights, but she has to get into court and get the contempt papers filed to actually do anything about the problem. They are not easy to do on your own. Have you tried finding a legal aid clinic?

Expert:  AttyHeather replied 9 months ago.

If you have follow up questions, I'm happy to assist you. Otherwise, could you please provide a positive rating for this question?

Related Family Law Questions