How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD 1992 Your Own Question
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33370
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JD 1992 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is this free, how much, CA, yes already divorced but dealing

Customer Question

is this free
JA: The Family Lawyer's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.
Customer: how much
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: CA
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: yes already divorced but dealing with an issue with the kids and their dad and a restraining order
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have a restraingin order it was put into effect 2 years ago and has 1 more year to go. I was in control on how the kids saw the dad. I have 100% custody. over the 2 years the dad was getting better. on a few occasions he picked up the kids from school and dropped off food. does this make the restraining order null and void and will I get into trouble? Also now he is starting to be unstable mentally and my daughter doesnt want him around.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: how much longer should I wait
JA: I don't know. I'm trying to find the right Family Lawyer for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know.
Customer: ok
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  JD 1992 replied 9 months ago.

does this make the restraining order null and void?

No. The only way to make the restraining order "null and void" is 1) if the judge issues another order saying the restraining order is void, or 2) the restraining order was for a limited time and that time passed. This is called "expiring by its on terms".

will I get into trouble?

If you do it isn't likely to be much trouble but a lot depends on the exact wording. If a restraining order says something is not to happen, as opposed to a specific person is not to d something, then you don't have the right to ignore the order. However, if you were not the "target" of the order then the judge usually won't hold it against you too much. However, the more you ignore it the more likely it is that the judge will get mad and then the judge can also do away with the order and not issue you another one if you don't obey the terms of this one.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.

Related Family Law Questions