How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29986
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

DCF came to my home and told my fiance to lea e because of

Customer Question

DCF came to my home and told my fiance to lea e because of past accusations of sexual abuse on other children without any legal action ever taken against him. They have prohibited all contact between him and my three children but we are due to have a child together in two months. It has been five weeks and they said a case has been opened against me for putting my kids at risk of sexual abuse, he is doing counseling and staying away as suggested. I have repeatedly tried to get a lawyer with no responses or being turned down. How can I get a lawyer to help me and will they be able to keep him away from his own child? What rights do we have? They said they want to reunite us and wrote that in the protection plan, are they obligated to do say with our full cooperation?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 10 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

DCF does have the ability to order that your fiance not spend time with your child after you give birth, while they investigate or if they find that he presents a danger. They're not obligated to reunite the family if they think it's not in the best interests of the children to do so, but when they say that reunification is their end goal, they will work toward that. The more you and your fiance cooperate, the better your chances are. They just want to be sure that your fiance doesn't present a risk of sexual abuse to your children or the one you have together.

There is no way to make a lawyer take a case. The state will provide you with a free lawyer if you're charged with a crime, but not before (hopefully it won't come to that). The best thing to do, I'm sorry to say, is keep looking. Try to find a lawyer with experience in DCF cases, and keep calling. Sometimes your local bar association will have a program that helps connect people with the right type of lawyer, so it's worth looking into whether your country or state offers something like that.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Do you have any other questions about this?

Related Family Law Questions