How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Wyoming and am aware of the fact that it is

Customer Question

Hello, I live in Wyoming and am aware of the fact that it is considered a crime to run away from home as a minor here, but my question is what would happen if I ran away considering my 18th birthday is ***** 10 days?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn of what must be a difficult situation.

While you must both be caught while running away within those 10 days, and undergo some form of adjudication (this is a "status offense" in WY (meaning running away is a "crime" only because you are under 18), the repercussions are aimed primarily at resolving the family issues and youth protection.

If you are going to be past the age of majority before any of this comes to pass - the court is most likely to close the case as nothing can be done about it anyway (the matter is "moot" as the court is not going to pass a judgment for which there is no effective judicial remedy).

Wyoming does have a very good packet on what the actual application of this law is - and may give you a bit more of an idea of what I am referencing here as far as what the court is looking at: