How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2156
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father has been married for 10 months. His wife has

Customer Question

My father has been married for 10 months. His wife has recently left him they are in their mid 70's . My father has a company that is taking off. He had this company before they were married. He is wanting to buy a beach house in Florida, he lives in a new Iberia Louisiana. If he purchases it now how can he keep her from getting half. She had nothing coming into the marriage but her home and a car.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 10 months ago.

Hello. I’m a family lawyer, former trial lawyer and appellate attorney with 36 years’ experience and also have extensive experience with landlord-tenant issues and other legal issues. I look forward to helping you today.

Please note:This is general information for educational purposes and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship is formed.

If I'm not here right away, that means I'm typing my answer.

Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 10 months ago.

I would suggest he wait until the divorce is final otherwise she can claim part ownership of any asset he acquires while they are still legally married. Also, any income he earned from the business she is entitled to 50percent but not ownership of the business.

Related Family Law Questions